Saturday, 22 January 2011

Finished... ish...

Ok, technically it's not finished, because I still have to sew on the buttons. But it could be ages before I get around to that (naughty, I know) and, well, they're only buttons. All the crochet is done, however, and the cover is on the cushion.

One side:






T'other side:





On the whole, I'm happy with it, but I'm also a little bit disappointed. It's ended up a bit on the big side, so it's kind of a bit 'baggy'. (Is it possible to shrink it a bit, in cold water, or something like that? Or will I ruin it?) I think I'd got the measurements pretty much correct to begin with, but when I started I didn't know how I was going to do the closure part of it. I decided to cross that bridge when I came to it though, because otherwise I'd have spent hours, days, weeks searching the internet for advice, and would never have made a start! So I measured up and got on with it. When it was about the right size, I started looking for tips on button closures, and decided to go with the tutorial from Bunny Mummy's blog (on the right hand side, scroll down a bit). She advises (if I understood it correctly) two rounds of double crochet, which is what I did, but obviously that made both sides of my cover a little bit bigger. I'm not disputing her technique at all, I just wish (in hindsight) that I'd taken that into account when working out the size. Also, I'm pretty sure I should've blocked my squares, but I didn't and there's no other excuse for that than I was just being lazy. To be honest, I think I was starting to get a bit bored with it towards the end, so I was kind of rushing to finish it. I know I shouldn't have done, after all the time and work I've put into it I should've taken a bit more care at the end. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

Not sure what the next project is going to be, but it may involve buying some yarn and following an actual pattern!! So while I decide on that, I'm going to try and get some reading in. I've just started this:




as part of my 'learn-more-about-Scotland' New Year resolution but it's one that really needs concentration, and I don't know if I want that right now, or if I'd rather just lose myself in some fiction. I suppose there's nothing to stop me having more than one book on the go, though, is there?

Regarding the dreaded flu jab, I had it on Thursday morning, and so far, so good - no rash or other reaction, so hopefully last year's event was just a one-off.

Well, I think that's about it for now. If you have any suggestions for my next project, I'd love to hear them! Bear in mind I'm very new to both crochet and knitting, being just slightly better at crochet because I've done more of that so far. I don't really want to do another cushion cover or similar crochet blanket; I'd quite like to have a go at something wearable, but I don't know if that would be too much too soon. There was a knitted cardigan in Let's Knit magazine last month (I think) which said it was for beginners, which I definitely am!, but I still found the pattern confusing, and that was supposed to be easy! Also, it was mostly garter stitch, and I wouldn't mind trying something else. Then today I saw a crochet cardigan which I liked (in another magazine), but I think I want to knit something next, otherwise I'll forget what little I've learned so far! So any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S The saga of Mischief and the knitting bag continues:





Yes, he's actually been picked up off the floor in it here...

2 comments:

  1. Your finished cushion is lovely, mine is still minus a back, need to finish that! Have you looked on ravelry? You can just go through loads of pics and patterns, you might find something there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I joined Ravelry a few weeks ago, but haven't really had a proper look on there yet. Good idea though, I'll definitely check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...