Sunday, 9 January 2011

The Most Nerve-Wracking Thing I've Ever Done!

Ok, that's a bit melodramatic, but I was a bit nervous about it. Yes, late last night I finally finished joining all my granny squares together! I used this tutorial from the Attic24 blog; I never doubted the instructions, only my ability to follow them!

Here are the first two squares joined:

... and the next two:


I couldn't believe it was actually working! Although the instructions couldn't have been clearer, I did struggle at times with finding the stitches, mainly because of the dark brown. I wish someone had told me when I started that that might cause me problems, but then again, it's been good practice I guess, and I suppose you can't avoid dark colours all the time (unless your name is Lucy and you surround yourself with beautiful bright colours ;-) ). I understood why I had to only work through the outside part of the 'V' of each stitch, but sometimes I had trouble finding them, and in places I think I might have either gone into the same stitch twice, or missed one out completely. Another problem I had, which was entirely of my own making of course, is that when I was tying in the loose ends of brown on each square, I was threading them through the outermost stitches, because that seemed to be the easiest thing to do. I only did it on the first few, before realising that it might lead to problems later on, which it did as it made the stitches a bit messy, and harder to define if that makes sense.

Anyway, I perservered, and finished it last night. Here it is, laid over the intended cushion just to get an idea of what it's going to look like:


I'm actually ridiculously happy with that!! I think it's going to look really good when it's all finished, and it'll really stand out against the sofa. Do you like my sleepy cat throw too? My mum bought me that a few years ago and it was so nice I didn't want to use it! So it's just been folded up in my wardrobe ever since, which was a shame, so I've decided to make use of it now.

So, I'm kind of on the home straight with the cushion cover now. I finished the squares last week, but didn't want to join them until yesterday (when I could devote a few hours to it), so in the meantime I started working on 'the other side'. It's going to be a big granny square in the same colours, 6 rounds of each with 1 round of brown in between them, and if that's not big enough I'll just keep going with the brown until it is. I also have to figure out how to do the button closure part of it, but I've found a tutorial on another blog which I think I might try and use.

I thought Mischief had decided my new knitting bag wasn't worthy of his attention, but apparently not, because he got in it this afternoon, despite it having the cushion cover folded up inside it too:

It must be more spacious than I thought! He tried again a bit later, after I'd taken the cover out to photograph it. He looks like he's checking both sides for take-off or something:

 


So I think that's about it on the crochet news.

It was my mum's birthday a couple of days ago. I bought her some of her favourite perfume, and a few 'pampering' bits and pieces, and she informed me today that she spent about 4 hours yesterday doing just that, pampering herself! I'm glad she was pleased with her pressies. Maybe one day I'll be able to give her a 'hand-made' present?

Just before I go, if you're reading this and you are a Blogger user yourself, can you tell me if you have any problems writing your posts? When I hit the 'enter/return' key, the cursor sometimes jumps back up to the beginning of the paragraph, rather than moving down a line. I don't know if it's a problem at their end, or if my keyboard is faulty?! God, I hope not. I'm going to check the Help pages to see if I can find anything, but if you've noticed something similar could you let me know I'm not alone please? Thanks!!

5 comments:

  1. Your crochet cover looks fantastic, well done!
    I have an award for you over on my blog.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm really pleased with it (so far)!

    Thank you for the award too, that's such a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cushion cover:), I just finished one myself. Looks like your cat wants to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had any problems lately with posting comments, last week I tried to leave one and it did nothing. Thought it was something I did, I'm not very good with computers. Usually bugging my Mike for help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gail! Yes, I think both my cats would like to help sometimes. I've previously made them a couple of big granny square blankets so I think they associate the wool with somewhere where they can sit!

    I forgot to read the Help pages about the posting problems I'm having, I'll have to try and remember to have a look in a little while...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...