Monday, 21 March 2011

Spring Has Sprung!!

Hello, and happy second day of Spring! I hope all is well with you, wherever you are!

I'm on annual leave from work this week (lucky me!) and as the sun was shining this morning I thought I'd go for a walk. I don't often go anywhere on my own like that; usually CJ and I go together. He's on leave this week too, but he had to go and get some new tyres for his car and I didn't really want to wait until he got back in case the nice weather didn't last, so off I went on my own.

There's a reservoir not too far from me (far enough that I have to drive there though) that has a lovely easy path all the way around it. We've been a couple of times before and thought it was very pleasant, so I thought I'd head for there. I took my mp3 player to listen to - I've always liked walking to music (it reminds me of walking through the fields to school listening to my walkman, not that school has particularly happy memories, but the walking bit does...) I digress! So I set off at a brisk pace on the reservoir path. I wanted to enjoy the walk but I also wanted to feel the benefit from a health point of view, which is why I tried to keep up a steady pace rather than just dawdling along. I was wearing a thin fleece jacket over a t-shirt, but the jacket soon came off because it was so warm in the sunshine. There was quite a cool breeze blowing off the water, but it was very welcoming. I stopped on the dam wall side of the reservoir to take a few photos, but the rest of the way round I was just concentrating on the walk. Apparently it's 1.3 miles all the way round; I'm sure that's nothing to most people, but I'm afraid I'm not as fit or active as I should be, so it's plenty for me, for now! I must admit I was glad to get back in the car and have a few gulps of water (probably should've taken my water bottle with me). I was shattered... but in a good way!!

Anyway, here are the photos. I only had my mobile with me, and I couldn't see the screen properly as it was so bright, so I just had to hope that they came out ok:


As I said, it was very sunny, although it doesn't look like it here. The sun was coming from my right side, but nearly in front, in other words, I was nearly facing into it when I took these, so I guess it's affected the pictures a bit. The tall 'spike' in the distance (between the two pylons) is Emley Moor Mast.




And looking to my left, this is the reservoir:



All in all, a nice morning's walk!

... Several hours later...

CJ came home just as I finished typing the above, and after a quick cup of tea we headed out for a drive. We were actually going to go for this drive yesterday evening, but we'd only gone a few miles when he got a flat tyre. Luckily we were on a fairly quiet country lane so he could get on with changing the wheel there and then. He was having trouble getting it off though, and just then an old-ish chap walked past and asked if he was ok. CJ told him what the problem was and the old guy suggested he pump his brakes a few times to see if that helped, but it didn't. Then he said that it really needed pushing from the other side, so CJ got on the ground and kind of gave it a kick from behind, and off it flew. He thanked the man, who said "no problem, I used to be a tyre fitter, y'see" and then continued on his way. What are the chances?

Anyway, we tried again this afternoon and I took my camera but we didn't really stop anywhere so no photos unfortunately. Basically, we pick a few villages in a rough circle using a map, and then put them in the sat nav, selecting the 'shortest distance' and 'avoid motorway' options. When we get to the first village, we put the next one in and so on. It's a good way of getting to see some places that you've maybe never been to before, and going the shortest distance tends to take you along all the little quiet country lanes rather than the main A roads, which is much nicer, especially on a lovely sunny day like today. We didn't go far really; up into North Yorkshire for a bit, and near the outskirts of York, and then back via Tadcaster, where we called into a pub for an evening meal. CJ had salmon with mushroom taglietelle, I had a chicken and mushroom pasta in a creamy chive sauce. Both meals were quite nice, but they seemed to be very oily/greasy, and I couldn't finish mine because of that. I hadn't eaten anything since my breakfast so I was glad of something to fill the gap, but I don't think we'll go back to that particular pub.

I'm sorry about the lack of crochet just lately, I haven't picked up my hook in a long while. I don't know how you find the time! It's not as if I lead a busy life, or have a family to look after! I have been doing quite a bit of reading lately, which might be partly why I haven't got around to any crochet. I've just finished the first book in the Twilight saga, and am now a few chapters into the second. I'm surprised to find that I'm quite enjoying them. If these books (and films) had been around when I was an impressionable 14 year old or thereabouts, I can imagine that it might have started a lifelong obsession with vampires, and I'm certain that I would've been forever 'Team Edward'! But I guess I'm a little bit old for that now, so I'm just enjoying them for what they are. (Actually, if anything I might've been 'Team Carlisle' - hello the actor who plays him!)



Anyway, I'm going to go now. CJ is in the process of replastering our stairs; he's just been doing some drilling and a huge cloud of dust has just billowed into the living room (where I am) so I'm a bit worried about the ol' laptop! Think I'll put it away for a while!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! Thanks for visiting and leaving a nice comment! I know that reservoir well as I used to live in that area. And I now live not too far from Tadcaster...small world!! Anyway, it is lovely to meet you and to be introduced to your lovely blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, lovely to meet you too! Small world indeed! I've been following your blog for a while, it's lovely to see your photos of the Yorkshire Dales, and your crochet and knitting (mostly crochet at the moment) is inspiring me to keep going with mine!
    Thanks for popping by! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...