Sunday, 24 April 2011

Happy Easter!!

Hello! I hope you're well, and enjoying the Easter weekend (unless you've had to work, in which case, Booo, thumbs down!)

I'm not religious (but I respect your right to celebrate this time of year in any way you wish), so Easter to me is really just about a couple of extra days off work, and Easter eggs... or the lack, thereof! CJ and I had discussed previously whether or not we were going to buy eggs this year, particularly due to the fact that I'm trying to lose weight. I kind of wasn't bothered, but I think he wanted to, so we said that we would, but we'd choose our own together. However, we never went shopping beforehand, and no more was said about it, so I kind of assumed that we weren't going to bother after all. I was talking to my mum the other day and she said if we wait until after Easter there'll be loads going cheap (or should that be 'going cheep!'?) in the supermarkets, so I was going to mention that but I forgot. Then this morning (Easter Sunday) we got up for breakfast and CJ went straight out to the garage. I wondered what he was doing, but didn't really think much of it, and then he came back in with this:


Admittedly, it'd been a bit of a last minute purchase - he was worried that I might have one stashed somewhere so he thought he'd better surprise me with one too. The trouble is, I really hadn't bought him one, so I felt awful then!! I've offered to buy him one tomorrow or when I can get to the shops, but he says he's not bothered, we're just going to share this one. It's already been broken into pieces on a plate, and we'll both just keep dipping in every time we walk past, and I'm sure the box of chocolates will be opened this evening.

I must admit, I don't feel too guilty about eating chocolate, because we have been quite good and been for two walks this weekend. Yesterday we did the same walk that I did with my mum a few weeks back, from Lemonroyd Marina down the side of the Aire and Calder Navigation and back up the other side. It was really hot though, possibly a bit much for going for a walk in. This morning we went to East Ardsley Reservoir, which I've also blogged about before. Not as sunny, and quite a bit cooler, which was probably just right for walking. There were loads of little flies and midges in clouds around our heads, which I guess is one of the perils of walking near water. If we wanted to talk we had to hold a hand in front of our mouths. We saw a jogger stop for a second to have a cough and a spit, and as we passed him he said "I'm surprised there's any of these things left, I've eaten most of them!" Oh well, it's all extra protein I suppose! I didn't take any photos on the two walks, as I've taken some before, and as much as I want to take some pics, I just don't think I'm very good at it! My photos never seem to do justice to what I'm snapping, and sometimes I find I carry my camera around and never even use it (and it's not exactly the lightest camera!). I've seen quite a few blogs taking part in a monthly photo challenge and I'm thinking of having a go myself next month, just to try and get me using my camera and thinking about things a bit more. I'll see.

I digressed a little bit from the walks to photography then. The other thing I was going to mention with regards to the walks, well, it's more exercise in general really, is that I've actually joined a gym. In fact, we (my mum and I) joined back in March. I've been in two minds whether to mention it really, which is why I haven't said anything until now. The whole 'exercise/lose weight' thing is kind of a sore topic with me. I know there are a lot of women who want to lose weight and get fit, and everyone has their own reasons, and mine are no more or less important than anyone else's. My main reason is my health. I think I've mentioned before that I have a heart condition, and I've had open-heart surgery twice. When I was 10 years old, I was told to stop doing all forms of exercise, PE at school etc, as it was making my condition worse. So that was that. In fairness, it wasn't until my second op in Dec 2006 that I was told that it was pretty much ok for me to start exercising again. The only things I still shouldn't do are really strenuous weightlifting, or any kind of contact sports.
But that was nearly 4 and a half years ago. So on the one hand, I'm quite ashamed that a) it's taken me this long to even make a start on doing some form of exercise, and b) that I've put weight on in the meantime. As well as the weight, I'm carrying around an enormous amount of guilt that those surgeons saved my life (and it was touch and go, I very nearly didn't make it through the op) and how did I repay them? By just gaining more and more weight, and not even trying to stop.
On the other hand, I guess it's a case of 'better late than never'. When I think that for the last four years I've been saying "I need to lose weight, I need to exercise" over and over like a broken record but nothing has ever changed, and then all of a sudden this year, I joined a gym, which is something I thought I'd never do - I guess I'm allowed to feel a little bit proud of myself for that.
Having said that, I don't think I've lost any weight yet, although it's still early days. I don't really want to get too obsessed with that, like weighing myself every day, I'd rather wait for the 8 week reviews at the gym where we get weighed and measured, and find out if I've lost anything there. Hopefully I'm at least getting a bit fitter though, which can't be a bad thing.
I don't want to go on and on about exercising and losing weight though, I'll try not to mention it again, although it does partly explain why I'm not getting much crochet done, 'cause the gym is now taking up some of my evenings and weekends!

Speaking of which, there is no news on the crochet front. I've got about a dozen granny squares ready to be posted to the Japan/Australia appeals when I get my act together - if the people running the appeals happen to read this, I am sooooo sorry that it's taking me so long to send them, I am definitely not the fastest when it comes to crochet! Other than the squares, I haven't really got anything planned, although I can't stop imagining the round blanket I did (in the post before last) as a big stash bag, as suggested by Cuckoo. I keep looking at it and thinking 'if that was the base of a bag, it'd be huuge!!' So I'm really really tempted to buy some yarn to carry on with the sides. But then I wonder how practical it would be; at the moment, my stash is in one of those big plastic tubs with a lid, which at least keeps it fairly tidy and clean. So I don't know. Hmm, I wish I was one of those people who's really good at making decisions!!

Anyway, I think that's all for now. It was only supposed to be a short post to wish you a Happy Easter!

I'll leave you with a picture of my little Millie - aren't they adorable when they tuck their nose under their paw?

3 comments:

  1. I think you've made a really positive choice joining the gym! Try not to beat yourself up about the whole weight/exercise thing - sometimes we just have to be ready to make those lifestyle changes and then its achievable. The main thing is if you want to feel fitter you'll have the motivation to do it - just have to find something that makes exercise enjoyable so you can keep it up. I've really struggled with motivation over the last 6 months but the sunshine has helped me no end and I've had my bike out a couple of times this week which has reminded me how much I enjoy it! Good luck and keep positive thoughts! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...give the stash bag a draw string top! Perfecto!

    Well done on the gym front. I find every diet and exercise regime works for me, extremely well. Yes every single one....when I stick to them...which I'm rubbish at, so I am one of those who is constantly starting a diet and rarely get to to the end point. Except I did do it once, and I feel sure I'll do it again one day and you will too, provided you stick to it!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind comments. I think I was just having a bit of an emotional 'wobble' when I wrote that post! On the whole, I am proud of myself for taking that first step into the world of exercise, and I know that that alone is a good thing for my health. If I lose weight too, that's a bonus!
    Good luck to both of you with your diet/exercise regimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...