Saturday, 21 May 2011

Zumbaaaarrgh!!

Hello again! I hope you're well!

I'm not keeping up with this blogging malarkey as well as I'd like to, am I? It's been so long that, as usual, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of things that I wanted to write about! Oh well, I'll just see how I go...

Firstly, I've tweaked my blog dimensions slightly, so if it looks a bit different, that's why.



These were some lovely flowers that CJ bought me a couple of weeks back. He'd actually bought two bouquets for the wife of one of the members of his bee club; she'd kept everyone fed and watered during a weekend course that they were running, so the flowers were a thank you for her. But he realized that it wouldn't look too good if he came home with flowers for another woman and none for me, so I got these!! I desperately need some new vases though, the tall glass one is too tall and really heavy, and the bottom one is really a jug (not that you can't put flowers in a jug, but it's a jug that we do sometimes use for keeping cold drinks in the fridge). I'm not too keen on the clear glass either, I think I'd prefer something where you can't see all the stalks.

I should really change the name of this blog now to something like "the diet started last Monday"... because it did! I'm not going to waffle on about it for ages, but basically last weekend I planned my week's meals using the recipe suggestions from the slimming club which is run by the gym I attend. The previous Thursday we signed up for the six week challenge, which really just consists of getting weighed once a week, and at the end of the six weeks I think they look at your food diary and tell you if there's anything you could improve. At my first weigh-in I'd lost 2lbs from my starting weight, which is good, but I'm not getting overly excited about it as it's such a small amount. But if it keeps going like that every week, I'll be happy! Planning my meals proved to be really successful too, especially as CJ and I are now eating different foods (he's not bothered about healthy eating!). Knowing what I was having for my tea each night really helped, and stopped me from my usual lazy habit of just getting a bowl of cereal. One thing I need to get used to is that cooking meals for myself, and preparing my lunches for work, means spending more time in the kitchen on an evening, which means less time sitting at my laptop reading blogs or playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook! But that's not really a bad thing, is it? I definitely need to be more active, so on that basis, I've also indulged in this:

 
For the complete beginner (which I am!) it's flippin' hard work! I've discovered just how incredibly uncoordinated I am, not to mention unfit and the complete opposite of agile! I feel like an elephant, lumbering across the living room! It seems like I can't jump or lift my feet up, they're rooted to the floor! In my defence, I think the game could be better; the tutorials don't talk you through the moves, you're just expected to watch and copy the person on the screen, as they gradually do faster, more complicated, routines. It tells you to copy them exactly, ie. if they move to the left on screen, you move to your left. But my brain just doesn't seem to work that way - when they move to the left on screen, my brain kind of flips it and I know that they're really moving to their right, so I move to my right too! And then I'm even more confused! Zumba afficionados will probably say that I'd be better off going to a class, and I'm tempted, especially as my gym runs one. I thought I'd buy this for the Wii so that I could practice at home first, but I'm not sure it's doing anything to convince me that I'd enjoy a class. Apart from the fact that I'm next to useless at it, I just don't know how I feel about sweating that much (eww, sorry!) in front of so many other people!

Having said all of the above, I should probably confess to a little lapse yesterday. CJ texted me at work to ask if I wanted to go out for an evening meal. We usually go a couple of times a month, and just because I'm trying to be good it's not fair to say no to eating out occasionally. I just told myself that I'd try and go for a healthier option, something like a salmon fillet with lots of veg, or a side salad. This is what I had:

Bacon and Mushroom Taglietelle Carbonara...

... with Garlic Bread and Parmesan
As you can see, I failed. And I'd already tucked into a piece of garlic bread before I thought about taking a photo. So yes, I was naughty yesterday, but it was delicious, and I've tried to repent by doing 40 minutes of Elephant Zumba this morning. By the way, if you're ever in the area, I can fully recommend this place - always a warm welcome, very friendly staff, efficient service, large varied menu and beautiful food.

So, I waffled on a bit longer than planned there!

I haven't done any more crochet apart from a dishcloth, which is finished but waiting for it's ends to be tied in. I'll have to try and remember to take a photo of it before we start using it. I learned a new stitch for it - a bobble stitch! I can't find the original pattern, but it's similar (probably the same) as the one that Cuckoo explains here. Between her brilliant tutorial and the site with the dishcloth pattern on it, I figured it out, and once you've got the hang of it, it's actually a doddle. So we now have a bobbly dishcloth waiting to be put to use!

I'm actually off work for a week now on annual leave, which is just the best feeling! We haven't made any plans, although we've been talking about maybe having a day out somewhere, like the coast. Hopefully if we do, I'll take my camera and might have some pics to show you later.

I finished work early yesterday, as I was claiming some time back from working late. On the way home though, I had an incident with a bus, which first made me really angry, but then left me a bit shakey!


 I needed petrol, and a few yards before the entrance to the petrol station, there is a bus stop. I was behind the bus and as it approached the stop, he indicated left, so I naturally assumed he was going to pull up. There are two lanes, so I moved into the right-hand lane to pass him, because I knew that there was enough distance between the stop and the petrol station entrance for me to be able to pull in, and if he was waiting at the stop, I'd have enough time to do this. I'm sure I've done it before in fact. I passed him and was basically starting to turn, when I realised that, although he was slowing down, he wasn't stopping at the bus stop. Instead, he went straight past it and eventually stopped halfway across the entrance to the petrol station, just so that he could 'drop off' another bus driver. At first, I didn't realise what he was doing, and thought maybe someone had been running for the bus but couldn't make it to the stop in time, so he'd waited for them. I'd kind of started turning into the garage at this point, and had no choice but to carry on, but after his buddy had jumped off the bus the driver went to set off straight away, and then realised I was right in front of him, so I got beeped at!! I made it into the petrol station, and he went on his way. I was furious at first, and must admit to turning the air blue in my little car! I consider myself to be a safe, careful driver; I'm not saying I never make mistakes, but mostly I try to be sensible and conscientious, so it really annoys me when someone else's bad driving makes me do something stupid! After the anger faded though, my legs went to jelly! I kept going over it in my head on the way home, which I shouldn't have done because there's more chance of something else going wrong if you're not concentrating. I made it home in one piece though, thankfully! I told CJ about it later and he reckons that the bus driver was at fault because he shouldn't have parked across the garage entrance, and also the fact that he stopped, albeit only for a second or two, meant that he shouldn't have automatically set off without checking what was around him, which is what he did. So that was my (unwanted) excitement for yesterday!

I'm not doing very well with my Photo Scavenger Hunt. I've got a few pics, but I'm struggling with some of them and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get them all, although I'm hoping I'll get chance this week. I don't suppose it matters if I don't manage it though, as it's only a bit of fun, and I'll just try again next month! I think part of my problem is that I get a bit embarassed about taking photos in public, which is stupid, I know!

I think that's nearly everything. I just wanted to ask, if you haven't done so already (or perhaps if you didn't see my previous posts about it here and here), it would be really wonderful if you could sign the petition. I think the review is in June, so time is running out, and the more support we can get, the better. If you've already signed it, thank you very much. (If you haven't and don't want to, that's fair enough, I realise it's only a 'regional' issue and doesn't affect everyone).

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with a song, which I'm currently a bit obsessed with! I don't know much about Lykke Li so I can't call myself a fan, but I do love this track, and the video. According to the comments, it seems that this is about her relationship with her father, so the general consensus is that the man in the video (played by Stellan SkarsgÄrd) is her dad, rather than a 'lover'. One comment said that it would have been better if he'd slowly danced with her at the end, rather than stopping her, which I'm inclined to agree with. I still love the video though.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! I've not heard this song, I kinda like it. I would like to try the zumba workout I powerwalk and need something a bit different. Good luck with your challenge, I too am trying, its hard though and my will power is pretty weak.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, as I said I'm a bit obsessed with that song at the moment!

    Good luck if you try Zumba, whether you go to a class or just get a game/DVD version to try yourself. I'm finding it a bit frustrating because I don't really know what I'm doing, but if you can get past that, then it's kind of fun. I think the main thing is to just keep moving, even if you're not really doing the right moves. As for weak will power - tell me about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate driving and don't drive far, though everyone says they don't know why as I'm a good driver. I would have been annoyed at the bus driver too, he shouldn't have stopped anywhere to let anyone off the bus other than a bus stop, so he was totally at fault. It's always the innocent party who ends up shaken up. Good luck with the diet, I would have strayed if I'd gone out for a meal too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...