Saturday, 6 August 2011

I'm Back!

Hello!! I'm back, and feeling better - not 100%, but better than I was. Thank you so much for your lovely comments and kind thoughts, they were a huge help. Gem, I didn't manage chocolate (there was none in the house and I couldn't be bothered to go and buy any) but one evening we both realised we had a craving for crisps, so Chris went to the shop and came back with a tube of Pringles each, which we murdered whilst watching one of the Harry Potter films!

I did treat myself in another way though. I, um, made a purchase...

Hmm, what could it be?

C'mon Mischief, help me open it...
Mischief's nickname is Chewbagga, because he's obsessed with chewing plastic carrier bags.

Ooh, what's that peeping out?

YARN!!! And now Millie's come to investigate...

Well-packed!  
Mmm, yummy colours!!

Yum!  
Don't you dare knock them all over!
Yes, I finally treated myself to some yarn. It's Stylecraft Special DK, which I've seen a lot of you using, and you all seem to be happy with it, so I thought I'd try it. So I've broken through my crochet-mental-block-wall thingy and have decided to go with Cuckoo's great suggestion and turn this circle blanket into a stash bag. It's going to be a stupidly massive bag though, I kind of wish I'd pulled out a few rounds from the flat circle before I started doing the 'sides'. But I'm at the "I've-got-this-far-I-have-to-keep-going" stage now, so I'm just going to persevere and see how it ends up. From what I've read on other blogs, it seems like a lot of us go through phases of not liking the thing that we're working on, until it's completely finished, and then we love it, so fingers crossed I'll love the bag when it's done.

I was quite surprised the other night when Chris commented that even when I finish the bag I'm going to have loads of yarn left over, so am I going to make a big blanket with it? He said he could just do with one in all those colours. I've been thinking for a while about doing a big throw for the bed, but I was going to choose some brown and cream shades to match the colour scheme in our bedroom, and maybe have a go at a ripple or something like that. But it sounds like he wouldn't mind something a bit more colourful, so I'll have to have a think about it while I'm finishing off the bag.

The last proper bit of crochet I did was a bobbly dishcloth, with a bit of cotton yarn I'd got left over. I only had to tie in a couple of ends, but it's taken me ages to get around to it, so here, finally, is a photo:

Bobble-tastic!
We've got a houseguest at the moment - here he is having an al fresco lunch in the garden:



This is the imaginatively-named Torty the Tortoise - he belongs to Chris' sister, and while they're on holiday, he comes on his own little holiday to us. And here's Mischief, paying a leeeetle bit too much attention to him:


If we're not around, the cats are shut out of the kitchen - it's a bit too tempting to just squeeze a paw through those bars! I wish I'd been quicker with my camera the other day though, because one minute Millie was sitting next to the cage, the next she was rolling around on the floor in a very fliratious manner. The tart!

Speaking of Harry Potter (I mentioned him earlier) we finally got around to seeing the final film the other day. I haven't read the books, so I didn't know exactly how it all ended, although I obviously had a fairly good idea. I won't spoil it, just in case you're still waiting to see it, I'll just say it was pretty good, but maybe a bit anti-climactic in certain areas. And I cried. I wasn't bawling my eyes out, but I had to wipe away a few tears. What an idiot, crying over Harry Potter! As I said, we watched a few of the earlier films at home - Chris knows all the titles, but I'm hopeless - he'll tell me which one it is and I just say "which number is that?" As far as I'm concerned, it's Harry Potter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7a and 7b!! Personally I'm more excited for November and the latest Twilight film - mmm, Team Cullen!! (The whole family, not just Edward!)

Once again, I didn't manage to do the Photo Scavenger Hunt in July, but I've written down the August list, and I'll see if I have any better luck with that. I did take a few garden photos the other day, although I didn't realise until just now that they've all come out a bit blurry. It was very bright and sunny, and maybe I had my camera on the wrong setting ("or maybe you're just rubbish at taking photos, Michelle!")



Chives
Chris was telling me that when the chives started flowering, he nipped them off and sprinkled the seed heads into the tub, so now we have a 'lawn' of mini-chives starting to grow next to the big ones.

Plums

More plums!
These are Victoria plums and let me tell you, they're not lasting long!! They are the nicest, sweetest, juiciest plums I think I've ever had! I had 5 the other day, in one go - I even picked one off the ground and ate it (after a quick rinse under the tap) and I never do that usually (none of that 5-second rule for me!) Chris comes home from work and goes round the garden eating anything that's ripe - plums, strawberries - before he's even set foot in the house! It seems we're not the only ones who like the plums though - he opened the kitchen door the other night just in time to catch Mr Squirrel making off with a big juicy red one! No photo unfortunately, and as much as I love the squirrel, even I was a bit put out at that! I could've eaten that one!!

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of Mischief. I'd been sat on the bed reading, covered with my Slanket or Snuggie or whatever they're called (those blankets with sleeves, for the incredibly lazy among us!). When I got up I just kind of pushed it to one side, and when I went back later, I found this:

And that's not even at full stretch!

"What??"
It's a hard life, being a cat! Even though he's a proper moggie, I swear he must have a bit of Ragdoll in him somewhere, cos he is soooo floppy. You can pick him up and he just rolls onto his back, head, legs and tail all dangling, and he'll stay like that for ages. I'll have to try and get a photo of him one day in full flop mode!


The observant among you may have noticed that the person I previously referred to as 'CJ' is now called 'Chris'. When I first started reading blogs I noticed that a lot of you refer to your partners and children by their initials, presumably for a bit of anonymity/privacy, so when I started writing this blog I thought I'd do that too. His initials are CJ, but the truth is I never call him that, and I was actually finding it harder to remember to type CJ instead of his real name. So I just thought what the hell, I'll start using Chris, what does it matter really? (Although, if I'm typing fast I always do it wrong and it comes out as Chirs). So there you go, CJ is now (but has always been) Chris.

Anyway, I think that's about all for now. Chris is out all day at a beekeeping event so I've got the house to myself, and I'm just wondering what to do next. Should I get the ironing out of the way, or put it off till tomorrow? I want to do more of my crochet, and I'm thinking I need to find something to watch while I'm doing it. First things that spring to mind are Withnail and I (love that film!) or the BBC adaptation of Gormenghast, with the lovely Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Steerpike.


Hmm, decision made, I think! Gormenghast, here I come! (Ironing can wait!)

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like the Stylecraft, I love it, and much prefer to use natural yarns, but this has won me over. You will have to post a photo of your bag when finished. This yarn seems to go on forever, I was able to do a huge blanket with the 100g balls, although I did run out of a few colors if I used it a lot. The plums sound delicious and you will always win me with cat photos. I use my family's names, I don't use surnames so I feel ok about it. Have a wonderful day XX Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn looks fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo Michelle! Lovely blog, nice to see you back in blogland! That is one seriously yummy collection of stylecraft - the only think I found when I tried my very first bag using acrylic (not stylecraft in fairness) was that it had so much stretchiness that it ended up huge and floppy! It was a good learning experience for me though and the next bag in cotton was more of a success. I think I have fairly loose tension when I crochet though, so maybe that's why. Definitely go for a blanket as well, I have loved doing blankets and they are dead easy to pick up and put down. If you're not sure about the full on colourfest, you could try sticking to a few colours...but you have got a lot of gorgeous brightness there, what about a rainbow ripple? Your garden is still looking lovely - I haven't managed any pics of mine for weeks but it's not very inspiring at the moment, lots of green (and weeds if you look a bit closer!), good idea with the chives! Mischief is so cute - we're pretty sure there must be a bit of Ragdoll in Basil too, he's just like that for flopping aorund! I've had the internal name debate too but figured for the moment to keep their privacy since they have no control over what I write on my page!! If Chris is happy with it, I don't see it matters at all. And finally (sorry for looong comment!) - how exciting re the beekeeping! Does this mean you are going to get your own honey????! I've always been fascinated by beekeeping just not sure I'm brave enough, but sounds yum! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh - why is it when you hit post comment - you spot all the typos! sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo then is nothing as wonderful as getting a big bag of yarn delivered...it is almost a shame to use it, it looks so good. I hope you enjoy using it...I love it, very warm and cozy too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. that should be there not then!!! Grr I agree with Sandra, we need a spellchecker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. I've been away so didn't see your blog til just now.
    You sound much brighter, yay!!!!
    I LOVE Torty, he is fab. Are they easy to keep?
    Your garden looks lush and I love the wool.
    I can't crochet for toffee so am in awe!
    Must go to bed, promised myself I would sleep as much as possible after a spell of going to bed waay too late!
    Enjoying the wool
    x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...