Tuesday, 6 September 2011

In The Garden

Ooh look, another post, I've already beaten August's record!

I completely forgot yesterday about my monthly garden photos, so I'll post them now. I got a bit bored with this idea, about half way through the year, partly because I saw gardens on some of my favourite blogs, and kind of got garden envy! But I'll see it through to the end of the year. Ours is ok, I guess, at least we've got one, and it would be bigger if we didn't have the garage. Anyway, needless to say, now that we're in September and heading into Autumn (or are we already there?), the garden is starting to look a little bit tired. We've had quite a lot of wind and rain in the last few days, so it's taken a bit of a battering from that too.

The leaves on the plum tree are looking a bit droopy now



At least I managed to take the photos on Monday morning while it was still sunny, because I think it's hardly stopped raining since then!

At the weekend I put the clothes airer up to hang out my washing and noticed that something, some kind of insect, had laid eggs on one of the lines. I didn't take a photo of them, but they were tiny and laid in lots of really neat rows, two or three inches in length. I didn't move them (live and let live!), just put a couple of pegs either side so I knew to avoid that part of the line. Anyway, later that afternoon I was bringing my washing back in, and I looked at the eggs to find that they'd already started hatching! And it turns out, they were caterpillars!

You can see how small they are next to the peg
Some of them are suspended on silk threads, like a web, and I think they were probably getting blown away in the wind. I tried to get some close up shots using my macro extensions, but I didn't have anything to brace myself against and I was wobbling around all over, so they're a bit blurry:



The next day I checked, and all the caterpillars had gone, and it seems like there was just the empty eggs left (with a few that were either late to hatch, or not going to). It looks like teeny-tiny bubble wrap!

So I don't know where they all went, and since they were so small I can't identify them, but I'd love to know what they were going to grow up to be!

Speaking of moths and butterflies (well, kind of) we had a beautiful moth in the garden a couple of weeks ago. In fact, it flew into the kitchen, but we put it out and it landed on the window. I put my hand next to it and it climbed on, and I held it like that for ages, but unfortunately didn't have my camera with me. By the time I'd been back inside to get it, the moth had landed on the house wall, and I couldn't get a very good photo of it. If I've googled it correctly, it's a Red Underwing Moth:

My photo
A better photo, from squirrelbasket.wordpress.com
As you can see, I like my creepy-crawlies! I've always been interested in wildlife, and bugs, and insects etc ever since I was little. The only things I'm not too keen on are spiders (not very original, but there you go) and Crane-Fly or Daddy-Long-Legs or Jimmy Spinners or whatever you call them. I try to never kill them; if I can I'll evict them out of the house, although I have to confess that if Mischief and Millie spot a spider, I just leave them to it, and I'm afraid the spider usually becomes a snack for one of them. Does that make me an accessory to the crime?

Anyway, I think that's it for the garden photos this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...