Thursday, 8 September 2011

More Books...

Just thought I'd mention a few more of my grandma's old books, mainly because I need to get them wrapped in cling film (top tip for keeping the dust off) and put up in the attic.

In no particular order, we have:



I've enjoyed reading the little stories behind such phrases as "look before you leap", "familiarity breeds contempt" and "necessity is the mother of invention".

This is another little book about all kinds of animals; I thought I'd take a photo of two of my favourites, the wildcat and the cat (click the pic to make it bigger):



This is a tiny dictionary, only 2 or 3 inches tall - as you can see it's actually from the 'midget series'!

I'm not religious, but I still think this illustrated Bible is lovely - unfortunately the page was already loose like that, so I was trying not to make it any worse:



This is Gulliver's Travels - there is a plate inside which says it was presented to my grandma at Sunday School in Xmas 1924. It's funny, I can remember when I was about 10 years old, my teacher at primary school 'gently' warned all of us not to write Xmas in her cards - as the holiday was to commemorate Jesus Christ, and Christianity, she wanted to make sure that we used the word Christmas. You'd think a Sunday School would too, wouldn't you?



This is a very scientific book about botany, but I just thought it had a pretty cover, and I liked how they'd matched the page edges to it:



Also, on flicking through this and some of the other books, I've found a few of these:


Pressed leaves. My grandma did have a tendency to hide things in the pages of books and magazines, but so far I've only found leaves and shiny bits of foil, a bit like old sweet wrappers. I once used some birthday money (a £20 note) as a bookmark, and then forgot all about it. Much later, I was giving that book and several others away to one of my mum's friends (I went through a 'romance' phase when I was younger, this was a box full of Silhouette Special Editions; thicker and a bit racier than your standard Mills and Boon!) and I just happened to spot the note sticking out and reclaimed it!

Anyway, I think that's all for now. I'm going to keep a couple of the books downstairs on the bookcase, if I can squeeze them in, but the rest are attic-bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...