Sunday, 27 November 2011

Rest In Peace

Just heard the news that the footballer Gary Speed has been found hanged at his home, aged 42.

In my teens I had a massive crush on him, when he played for Leeds Utd. I had posters everywhere, and I even went to meet him one day when he was doing a signing in a sports shop. I got his autograph, and had my photo taken with him. I kind of embarassed myself in front of him (nothing terrible, just fumbling around in my bag for a picture for him to sign) and funnily enough, my crush kind of fizzled out not long after that! I lost interest in football too, but I kind of always had a soft spot for him, so I was devastated when I heard what had happened.

If it's true that this was suicide (I'm only going by what I've read so far on the news websites), then he must've had some serious inner torment that drove him to this tragic act. I hope he's free of it now, and in a better place. I just wish he'd found some other way to deal with it, for his own sake and the sake of his family and friends.

My thoughts are with them.

1 comment:

  1. Awful isn't it. My husband is in shock........ x x x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...