Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Bron | Broen


Hello!

I just thought I'd mention my latest televisual obsession - The Bridge. Have you been watching this?

I don't watch a lot of tv really, and I'm always late to the party when it comes to popular series. I probably would've enjoyed The Killing, but I just never got around to watching it. A few days ago I settled down to watch the next episode of Silent Witness, only to discover it was a repeat from the last series. Gutted! I'd been really looking forwards to watching it whilst doing my crochet. So I had a nosy around on iplayer to find something else, and I came across The Bridge, and thought I'd give it a go.

It's a Swedish/Danish crime drama, with English subtitles. The body of a woman is found on a bridge which links the two countries. She is lying exactly on the halfway point, the border between them, which is why both the Swedish and Danish police get involved. When they attempt to move the body, they make the grisly discovery that it is actually two people placed very carefully together to look like one - the top half belongs to a Swedish politician, and the bottom half, it transpires, was a Danish prostitute who'd been missing for over a year. So it's definitely a joint investigation now!!

The lead investigator for the Swedish Police is a woman called Saga Noren. She's very quirky; I've read other reviews which seem to suggest that she might be autistic, or have Asperger's. She certainly has some unusual habits and in some ways, an almost childlike view of things, but I find her character interesting and likeable. She can be quite funny too, in an unintentional way. Her Danish counterpart is Martin Ruhde. He's quite a laidback guy, juggling work and a large family including a stroppy teenage son, and when we first meet him he's recovering from a vasectomy. He initially doesn't know what to make of Saga, but as they are forced to cooperate on the investigation, he begins to grudgingly respect her, and even like her, although she often frustrates him too. There are quite a few other interesting characters too who become involved in various ways. 

I'm really hooked on it! It's on on Saturday night, on BBC Four, but since it took me a while to discover it, I had the first 6 episodes to catch up on, so I got through them all pretty quickly. I didn't watch Episodes 7 and 8 on Saturday night; I was planning to save them till this evening to watch them on the iplayer, but I couldn't wait and I'd caught up with them both on Sunday night! I can't wait for the next two episodes, although I think they're the last. I don't know what I'll watch when it's finished.

The only problem I have is that it's quite difficult to crochet and read subtitles too! Whenever someone speaks I look up and quickly read the subtitles, and then get in a couple of stitches until the next person says something. There are quite a lot of atmospheric city shots though, so I manage a bit more rippling while they're on. Speaking of the subtitles, it's fun using them to try and learn the language! Quite a few years ago I wanted to learn Norwegian (mainly due to my love of A-ha) so I bought a phrasebook and I did manage to learn a few words. As The Bridge is Swedish/Danish, some of them are quite similar: I think 'takk' is thank you, and 'ja' is yes (when Saga says it, she seems to pronounce it like 'aww'). 'Ok' seems to be universal, and once it sounded like the Swedish word for 'work' was 'job'! To be honest though, all the characters talk so fast (to me), it's very difficult to pick out any other words. I love listening to them talk though, I definitely like the Scandinavian languages, and accents.

So there you go, I just thought I'd share my latest obsession with you!

The Bridge - picture from Wikipedia

Edited to add: It's finished! I'm bereft!! You know when you finish a really good book and actually miss the characters? Well this is the same. I really did enjoy this series. I watched the last two episodes last night on TV (there was no way I could wait to watch them on iplayer this time) and flippin' heck, they were good!! I won't go into what happened, but it was really gripping right to the end, and there were some sad bits too.

They're apparently working on a second series - if it eventually gets shown over here, I'll definitely be tuning in!

For now, I'm consoling myself by listening to the haunting theme tune. I can't find a version I'm really happy with, but I've plumped for this one in the end. Best to just listen, rather than watch, as this video isn't anything to do with The Bridge:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...