Just thought I'd give you an update on my ripple blanket, the one I started around October 2011. Here it is:
... 9 feet and 2 inches. I know!! I was only supposed to be making a throw for the bed, but instead I was on my way to crocheting a flippin' carpet for the bedroom!!
So, I started frogging, and I think that took me nearly two hours. Eventually I got back to the first row, laid a tape measure along the bottom of the bed, and unravelled it back to the length I wanted. I made sure I counted along the foundation chain carefully, putting a stitch marker in every 14th chain, and leaving three at the end. Then I started stitching into each chain, which was slightly easier than the first time because the holes had already been stretched a little bit. I've got to the end and started back the other way, but I've broken off for a bit to write this. Hopefully though, because it's not as wide, it won't take me as long to do each row and I might be able to get back to where I was fairly soon. I'm hoping I don't have too much wasted yarn, but considering how much shorter it is, I'm hoping that there will be a reasonable amount left over, that might come in for something else, like the centres of some granny squares, or something like that.
So how wide is it? Well, it is now a far more manageable 4 feet wide - I'm hoping that this will allow for a bit of stretch (although being smaller it won't be as heavy), and also allow for whatever size border I put on it.
Speaking of heavy, I actually struggled to lift it, which was another thing that made me decide to start again. We've got a big cotton throw that we usually have on the bed, to try and keep cat hairs off the bedding. The other day, Mischief was sick on it (sorry), so it went in the washer, and it's obviously really heavy when it comes out wet. Then it takes two days to dry on the line. I dread to think what this blanket would've been like if it had needed to be washed after it was finished. At least this new smaller size is more practical.
I thought I might've felt really gutted at having to frog it all, and I was worried that halfway through I'd change my mind, but actually the overwhelming feeling was one of relief. I wasn't happy with the blanket, so I've done something about it, and I'm really pleased that I have. I'm just annoyed that I didn't do it a lot sooner, because I've known for ages that it was too big. But even back then, I felt like I'd got 'too far' to stop, so I just carried on. Obviously I'd got even further this time, but I knew that if I kept going and finished it, I wouldn't be happy with it in the end, so it was better to stop when I did than do any more. Hopefully it won't take long to start taking shape again.
Right, I'm off to get a drink, and then I'm going to carry on and see how much more I get done this evening.
Bye for now!