Sunday, 15 July 2012

Ripple Update

Hello, long time no blog, again!! Hope you're well.

Just thought I'd give you an update on my ripple blanket, the one I started around October 2011. Here it is:

*Gulp!*
Yep, I frogged it, all the way back to the first row. I was on my 35th 'stripe', and as it was two rows per colour, that meant I was on my 70th row. I was doing a bit of al fresco crochet in the garden this morning, feeling the warmth from that strange round yellow thing in the sky, and wondering why it wasn't raining again, when halfway through row 70 I just thought "I'm not happy with this blanket, I really should start it again". So I brought it inside and laid it over the foot of the bed. It touched the floor on one side, and trailed on the floor on the other side. That was bad enough, but the thing that really decided it for me was the thought that I'd want to put a border on it when it was finished, and that could add another two or three inches all the way round. It was just too big. I mean, stupidly massive. In fact, guess how wide it was? Go on, have a guess. Ok I'll tell you...

... 9 feet and 2 inches. I know!! I was only supposed to be making a throw for the bed, but instead I was on my way to crocheting a flippin' carpet for the bedroom!!

So, I started frogging, and I think that took me nearly two hours. Eventually I got back to the first row, laid a tape measure along the bottom of the bed, and unravelled it back to the length I wanted. I made sure I counted along the foundation chain carefully, putting a stitch marker in every 14th chain, and leaving three at the end. Then I started stitching into each chain, which was slightly easier than the first time because the holes had already been stretched a little bit. I've got to the end and started back the other way, but I've broken off for a bit to write this. Hopefully though, because it's not as wide, it won't take me as long to do each row and I might be able to get back to where I was fairly soon. I'm hoping I don't have too much wasted yarn, but considering how much shorter it is, I'm hoping that there will be a reasonable amount left over, that might come in for something else, like the centres of some granny squares, or something like that.

So how wide is it? Well, it is now a far more manageable 4 feet wide - I'm hoping that this will allow for a bit of stretch (although being smaller it won't be as heavy), and also allow for whatever size border I put on it.

Speaking of heavy, I actually struggled to lift it, which was another thing that made me decide to start again. We've got a big cotton throw that we usually have on the bed, to try and keep cat hairs off the bedding. The other day, Mischief was sick on it (sorry), so it went in the washer, and it's obviously really heavy when it comes out wet. Then it takes two days to dry on the line. I dread to think what this blanket would've been like if it had needed to be washed after it was finished. At least this new smaller size is more practical.

I thought I might've felt really gutted at having to frog it all, and I was worried that halfway through I'd change my mind, but actually the overwhelming feeling was one of relief. I wasn't happy with the blanket, so I've done something about it, and I'm really pleased that I have. I'm just annoyed that I didn't do it a lot sooner, because I've known for ages that it was too big. But even back then, I felt like I'd got 'too far' to stop, so I just carried on. Obviously I'd got even further this time, but I knew that if I kept going and finished it, I wouldn't be happy with it in the end, so it was better to stop when I did than do any more. Hopefully it won't take long to start taking shape again.

Right, I'm off to get a drink, and then I'm going to carry on and see how much more I get done this evening.

Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word! 70 rows of frogging is a bit soul destroying! But I'm sure you are right - better to do it now than end up wasting a load of yarn on a blanket you don't like much. I made a ripple a bit too wide but couldn't bear to pull it apart and by the end was resenting the time every row took!! Hope you love it this time, sure you'll soon be back to where you were before - those rows are less than half the length!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been gutted! I have almost finished a blanket for a friend, it is a paying job and if I had to frog it I think I would have cried. I haven't finished my ripple yet, my friends took over.
    xx Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd feel gutted too, but I'm glad I did it and still have no regrets! The Ripple #2 is coming along nicely; like I said, it's working up quicker now that it's 5 feet shorter in width!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...