Saturday, 1 June 2013

Go Bananas!

Hello!

I've been baking again :-)

To try and get around my chocolate habit at work, I thought I'd try and make some cupcakes or muffins - preferably a healthy version, if such a thing exists - to eat instead of the chocolate.

I looked in my copy of '500 Cupcakes and Muffins by Fergal Connolly', which is broken down into various sections, including 'low-fat cupcakes'. In this section, I found that I had all the ingredients for the banana and honey cupcakes, so I thought I'd give them a try.






Ingredients
450g (1lb) mashed bananas
150g (5oz) light brown sugar
90g (3 1/2oz) honey
4 tbsp margarine, melted
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
150g (5oz) roughly chopped walnuts

 Preheat the oven to 175 deg C/350 deg F.


Use an electric whisk to beat together the bananas, sugar, honey and margarine. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt, and then fold in the walnuts.

Spoon into paper cases and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.


It's a very wet, runny mixture and when I put it into the first paper case it started to collapse, which is why I'm kind of experimenting a bit here. I don't seem to have a bun/cupcake tray.


Allow to cool on a wire rack.


I have to say, they've got a very unusual texture, but it's probably normal, presumably because of the bananas. Not being an expert in these things, I was expecting a kind of sponge, when it's actually more like a dough.

 
Even though they'd been in the oven for the full 20 minutes, I was a bit worried that they looked undercooked. However, thankfully they do taste a lot better than they look.

If you like bananas, that is.

You've got to really like bananas.

I'm not sure if I'd make them again - they do taste nice, but it's the weird texture that's putting me off, and they don't look very aesthetically pleasing. I know, I know, looks aren't everything...

If you have a go at making these, please let me know what you think.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...