Thursday, 20 June 2013

Mallaig

Today started out quite wet and overcast. We both got up really early, but then Chris nodded off again on the sofa, so I spent a couple of hours trying to take photos of some of the garden wildlife.

As I've been looking out of the living room window, I've noticed something small and brown running across the grass, onto the patio and then back again. I managed to get a couple of photos of it this morning - I think it might be a vole:


I bought some bird food the other day and hung it out, but noticed this morning that the bag of peanuts and the bag of sunflower seeds had dropped off. I went out to pick them up but they were nowhere to be found. When we arrived on Saturday, the owners did tell us that there was a pine marten which sometimes steals things like fat balls, so I'm assuming he or she has made off with both entire bags of nuts and seeds!

The main birds that we seem to get on the feeders are chaffinches, great tits and blue tits




There are also housemartins (I think) nesting in the eaves, right above the bedroom window. I spent ages this morning trying to get a shot of them flying into or out of the nest, and this is as close as I got

a bit of wing

a bit of wing and tail
They're too quick for me!

Anyway, eventually we set off for Mallaig. We passed a little church which is a bit of a favourite of mine, and which I was able to get a quick snap of today, although it wasn't looking too good in the damp, grey murk...


On the way we called at Arisaig, to visit a family friend, but unfortunately she wasn't home, so we continued to Mallaig.



We had a walk around the shops and a nice pub lunch, just beating the rush of people who arrived on the steam train from Fort William, which I tried to take a photo of as we drove past when we were leaving




The weather wasn't bad while we were in Mallaig, but on the way home it was hit and miss - there were some fairly angry skies


Instead of coming straight back to the cottage, we drove past the end of the road to see if we could find a local hotel that we could go to for an evening meal on either Thursday or Friday. We didn't find one, but it did give us the opportunity to take a photo of the cottage from a different angle

the metal bridge, leading to the cottage on the right

Well, blogger is being a bit awkward so I think I'll leave it here. Don't know what the plan is for tomorrow yet.

Spider-watch: Three evicted this morning - two from the bedroom and one that was just hanging around on the front door...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...