Saturday, 11 January 2014

Couch to 5K

I read about Couch to 5K here. It's a nine week programme which aims to get you up off your couch, and running 5 kilometres.

I've kind of wanted to take up running for quite a while, but I just haven't got around to it. Laziness, I guess. Fear of not being able to do it. Self-conscious about what I'll look like, plodding along the pavement with all my wobbly bits wobbling, my face red as a beetroot, dripping in sweat!

I can't remember the last time I ran, apart from that little jog you do when you're crossing a road and there's a car coming. Due to my heart condition, I was told to stop doing PE at school - that was when I was 10 years old. I don't think I've run properly since then, and the only exercise I've done was my brief dalliance with the gym a couple of years ago. So when I say I'm unfit, I'm not lying.

The C-2-5K programme consists of nine weekly podcasts, which last for 30 minutes. Week one starts with a 5 minute brisk walk, then running for a minute (well, jogging really, nothing too strenuous to start with), 90 seconds brisk walking, another minute of running and so on. In total, you run for 8 minutes, separated by the 90 second 'rests' in between.

This morning, at about 7.00, I set off from home with the podcast from week one on my phone. I took a brisk walk up to the main road, and after five minutes, I ran. I actually ran. It wasn't quick, it wasn't pretty, but I was moving faster than I've moved in over 20 years.

In total, I think I only managed three runs (maybe four, I can't remember). Just before halfway I turned to head back home, which is slightly uphill, and I just couldn't manage to run anymore, so I walked as briskly as I could for the rest of the way back home. I'm disappointed that I didn't do more running, but at least I did some.

I didn't take any tissues with me and my nose started running almost straight away, so I was sniffing my way around which was really annoying - lesson learned for next time.

When I got back I developed a bit of a headache, although it didn't last too long. I did have two glasses of water as soon as I got back in the house, but maybe that wasn't enough and I was still dehydrated. I'm not aching (yet) but I did feel very sleepy this afternoon.

My overwhelming feelings now are a) that I'm incredibly proud of myself for just going out there and doing it, even though I didn't manage to do the whole thing 'properly', and b) that I'm actually looking forwards to doing it again!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...