Thursday, 6 March 2014

Crochet Ta-dah!

I made a minion!

Well, a minion hat, to be precise!

For a small head!


Currently being modelled on a plant pot, next to my crocheted coasters.

It's for the son of friends of ours, who we look after each week. A couple of times now, when we've been coming back here after picking him up, he's commented that he has seen a minion. It took us a while to figure out what he was talking about, but it turns out it's on a poster, I think either a billboard or the small ones they put in phone boxes, although neither of us has spotted it yet. It's funny what children notice, isn't it?

Anyway, I've seen loads of patterns for them, so I thought I'd have a go at making him a hat. I found this one on Ravelry, and followed the measurements for toddler/child (he's four - the next size up is for a teen). It looks too small to me, but I'll let him try it on next time he's here - maybe it will stretch. He's a very observant little boy, so I'm going to leave it there on the mantlepiece and see how long it takes him to notice it!

Chris has said that he could be up for having a minion hat too, so I might be making a larger sized one for him...


Edited to add: It fit!! It only took him a few minutes to spot it. He pointed up at the mantlepiece and asked "what's that?". I pretended to not know what he meant, and he kind of went a bit coy and said "that minion's looking at me". So I told him it was a hat and asked if he wanted to try it on. He said no. Oh. So me and Chris made a big deal of trying it on our heads, but of course it was too small, and eventually we persuaded him to try it. I asked if he wanted to keep it but he didn't. Oh.

Anyway, when it was time for him to go home, I just casually said "do you want to put this hat on to go home, keep your head warm?" and he really sweetly said "is it mine?". I think he was a bit overcome that we were just giving it to him. So we said it was his if he wanted it, and he put it on and kept it on all the way home to show his dad and older brother (mum was out). Whether we'll ever see it again is another matter, but I'm just glad he liked it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...