Monday, 27 October 2014

Absent Friends

It's only a coincidence that I'm writing this after my previous post where I acknowledge that I haven't been blogging as frequently as I'd like. From my Filofax 'to-blog-about' list, I thought this might be one of the easier topics to start with. But this is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I've also noticed other bloggers commenting on it.

I have a veeeerry long list in my right-hand sidebar of blogs which I read on a regular basis. There is a bit of a mixture there - quite a few were discovered thanks to a mutual love of crochet, there are one or two relating to Strictly Come Dancing and other reality tv shows, some Scottish blogs and some where I just like the style of writing.

The way that the list is arranged, is in order of most recent post first, so when you scroll down to the bottom there are the blogs which haven't been updated for months, and even years.

I wonder why?

I know it's incredibly morbid of me to even think it, but I often wonder if something awful has happened to the author of the blog - a life-changing illness or accident, or even the very worst-case scenario, that they are no longer with us. Because the thing is, unless you have a co-author, or someone who can access and edit your blog, how would anyone ever know what had happened to you? I suppose somebody could leave a comment to explain, but that's if they even know that you have a blog. Chris knows that I write this one, or at least, I've mentioned it on occasion, but I'm not sure he'd remember that, let alone know the name of it. If something terrible did happen though, updating your blog with a statement probably wouldn't be a priority for your family or friends, would it?

On a lighter note, maybe the blog authors have just got a bit fed up with blogging, or they are too busy just getting on with their lives? Which is absolutely fine and understandable, I'm not in any way suggesting that they should still be writing if they don't want to.

I guess I was just prompted to mention this because I miss some of these blogs:

Andrea at Apples and Pears - I hope Andrea is ok.

http://yarnroundhook.blogspot.com/ - I used to be able to read (and enjoy) this blog, but it now says that it's open to invited readers only, and I'm not invited! Which is a shame, because the last blog post which shows on my sidebar is tantalisingly entitled 'Scotland', and I would've loved to read what she had to say about my favourite part of the world!

Ugly Overload - This was just an interesting blog I came across, the opposite of the very popular Cute Overload. I can't say that I really miss it, because I didn't look at it all the time, but it seemed to be doing really well, and it's strange that it hasn't had any more posts since 2013. 

Paper Mountains - I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the lady who writes the blog, but I believe she and her family had gone to live in Scotland, which was one of the reasons I enjoyed reading her posts. This one is also invitation only.

Crochet With Raymond - I really enjoyed reading about the gorgeous Raymond, and admiring Alice's colourful crochet creations, so it was incredibly sad when she announced that they had lost Raymond, and therefore she wouldn't be carrying on with her blog. It was never clear to me whether they believed he'd died, or just wandered off on an adventure of his own - I prefer to think it's the latter. Of course I completely understand why she stopped writing this blog.

These ones have also been unusually quiet (for them):
 http://sandiart.wordpress.com/
http://talesfromcuckooland.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.tangledhappy.com/

(I was just about to add another one to that list, but when I went to copy the web address, there was a new post!)

Those are just a few of the ones that haven't been updated for a while. I know this will seem really hypocritical after I've just said that I miss them, but I think I am going to remove some of the older ones from the list. I've left them there a long time, to see if they are updated, but now I think it's time to let them go, hopefully to make way for some new, interesting blogs to read. Any suggestions would be welcome!

2 comments:

  1. It's only recently that I popped in to see if any of the blogs I used to follow had been updated at all, sadly not. I often wonder why people stop blogging without any explanation and hope it's because they didn't want to continue rather than anything else. You're still using your Filofax then, have you figured out how best it works for you now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes, I'm still using my Filofax. I had a burst of enthusiasm when I first bought it, but then the novelty wore off and I had a bit of a break, but I'm back to using it every day now. Since Junior arrived I've had a lot more appointments to keep track of, plus I try to use it as a diary too, making notes of funny things he's done, or just how he is generally. I'm also doing a version of the Bullet Journal, and trying to have different sections for lists etc. In fact I've just got to the page where it reminds you to buy next year's inserts, so I'm trying to decide what format I'd like. At the moment I'm using a Week On Two Pages, but I'm wondering if I'd prefer a Day To A Page because I do tend to write a lot! Hmm, maybe another Filofax blog post is due?

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...