Saturday, 4 October 2014

Not quite finished...

After Yarndale, I spent a bit of time looking at the online shops of the exhibitors. One retailer who I made a purchase from - Eden Cottage Yarns - mentioned on their website that they were going to be at Armley Mill Wool Festival on Saturday 4th October.

Hello? How had I not heard about this before? Well, because it was the first one, apparently.

I'd had such a lovely time at Yarndale, I found it quite hard to 'let go' (I hope fellow yarn addicts will understand what I mean). This past week I've been obsessed with finding as many blogs about Yarndale as I can, I just love reading about other people's experiences of the weekend, as well as seeing all their fabulous purchases, of course!

So when I found out about another, albeit much smaller, festival that was local to me, I felt like I needed to go, kind of for a bit of closure.

I've never been to Armley Mill, but I had an idea where it was, and we didn't have anything on today. After a discussion with Chris about whether he could have Junior, we decided to make it a family trip. Chris wasn't particularly bothered about the yarny side of things, but we thought he might find something interesting to look at in the mill, so off we went, arriving at about 10.20, although I didn't realise that the festival started at 11.00. Some of the stalls were still setting up, but we were still able to go in and look around. We watched a demonstration of some of the mill machinery (it's so bad that I don't actually know what it was - a loom, maybe?), and by the time that had finished it was almost 11.00, so I went back to the stalls, and Chris wandered off with Junior.

I had a good look around and eventually made a few purchases, but I was quite restrained. There was lots of gorgeous yarn there, but I'm running out of space, and I don't think I should be spending a fortune on luxury yarn when I don't have firm plans for it.

So, this was my little haul from today:





Two skeins of Cobweb Lace from Natural Born Dyers. It's 50% Baby Suri Alpaca / 30% Merino Wool / 20% Silk and it is lush! The stallholder showed me a shawl that had been made up in this yarn - I kept picking it up and he asked me if I wanted the pattern for it, but I said "no, I just love touching it!". I'm not quite sure what I'm going to use it for. I really want to have a go at the Lost Souls shawl; the pattern says to use Aran but I fancy doing it in a lighter weight yarn, so that it's soft and drapey. I'm not sure whether this will be too light to show off the skull pattern, but I suppose I could try it for a few pattern repeats and see what it looks like. If it doesn't work I'll look for something that specifically uses this yarn because it's wonderful. The colour is called Mudstones, which doesn't sound very nice, but it's a lovely silvery-bluey-gray. I wanted an appropriate 'skull' colour, without being too dark and depressing! But even if I end up using it for something else, it's still a lovely shade.




When I first went to the NBD stall, the chap was demonstrating one of their stick spinners, with the wonderful name of a Spurtzleur! I'd been saying to Chris that I was interesting in spinning, so he kind of shoved me forwards to have a go! The NBD chap explained about the spinner and how to use it, then handed it over. "Right, the thing is, I'm left-handed," I said, "will that make a difference?" There followed a brief moment where we both tried to figure out how to do it, before I ended up trying it the right-handed way after all (I crochet right-handed anyway). So I had a go, and I was hopeless! Operator error entirely! But it was interesting, and I'm still keen to try spinning at some point.





Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the stall where I bought these brooch pins and tiny 'handmade' tags.


I bought these badges at the stall of The Knitting Goddess. She was at Yarndale, and I remember seeing the tray of badges, but I couldn't get near them! The advantage of arriving early today meant I could have a good look through - she seemed to have a lot more knitting-related ones than crochet, but I managed to find these six. I'm going to pin them to my project bag, along with my Yarndale pin badges (although, annoyingly, I've lost the back off of one of them, but I'll have a spare somewhere).

So that was it, not a lot today, but like I said, I think it was the closure I needed from Yarndale. I feel like I've learned a lot more in the last couple of weeks about different yarns, especially the 'luxury' ones. I've squeezed and smooshed so much gorgeousness last Saturday and today that I feel more confident about knowing what I want, and I'd know what to choose if I was ordering them online, for instance. Not that I'm planning to buy any more yarn at the moment though... (ha!)

2 comments:

  1. I can see you've really got the bug for shows now. I love the shade of your yarn, it's beautiful, and the sayings on the badges are very funny, I could do with some of those, especially the counting one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got the bug, although I don't know when the next one will be. I found out about the Bakewell Wool Festival and was pondering on whether I could get there. Unfortunately we're having a new boiler fitted that day, and Chris has had to miss a beekeeping event that he wanted to go to, so it wouldn't have been fair for me to wander off on another yarn-buying jaunt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...