Friday, 13 February 2015

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

Started: 25th Jan
Finished: 3rd Feb



This is the second book in the Jackson Brodie series. I had reasonably high hopes for it after enjoying the first one.

Jackson (ex-police, ex-private investigator) is in Edinburgh during the Fringe, supporting his girlfriend who is an actress in a show. While she is rehearsing, he has a wander around the town and surrounding areas, and somehow seems to find himself getting into trouble wherever he goes. He doesn't want to be involved, and yet he can't quite switch off his 'police brain'.

To be honest, I found it a bit of a slog, as evidenced by how long it took me to read it. I felt like not a lot happened for maybe the first two thirds, and there were some characters I didn't like too. In the final third, all the various strands of the story came together in quite a clever way, so it did get better at the end.

I've got two more Jackson Brodie novels to read - I'm hoping the next one will be better, as one of the characters from this one who I didn't like is, I think, not going to be appearing any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...