Thursday, 16 July 2015

Halfway...

Well, we're half way through the month, and I'm happy to say that I'm still sticking to my self-imposed  Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest ban.

Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off my email notifications, so I'm getting fairly regular emails telling me what I'm missing - Facebook is the worst, they are almost daily. I'm just deleting them straight away.

I wouldn't say that I'm really missing them, but there are times when I'm more aware of their absence. Since making it a resolution a couple of years ago to try to avoid the news, it's surprising how much I find out about what's going on in the world through Twitter, and I suppose I miss that a bit. For example, after watching a few of the later rounds of Wimbledon, I ended up not watching the men's final, and I didn't find out until Monday morning who had won. If I'd been on Twitter, I'd have probably seen a live update straight away.

There have been one or two occasions where I've had a query about something crochet-related, and I've thought, "I'll ask on one of the crochet groups on Facebook" before remembering that I can't, but it's nothing that I haven't been able to figure out on my own, so that hasn't been too much of a hardship.

I don't use Pinterest much, so I haven't missed that; I only deleted it because I knew I'd start using it in the absence of the other two!

The times when I miss them the most are those when you're just 'killing time', or when you're waiting for something else. Sometimes if I'm in the kitchen making tea, I'll take my Kindle in with me and have a nosy through Twitter while I wait for the spuds to boil, that kind of thing. When I get up and have my breakfast, I used to sit at my laptop and scroll through Facebook, and it feels a bit weird not having that to look at. I find I'm checking my blog list a lot more frequently in the hope that there will be a new post to read (or several).

As expected, I've started to use Instagram a lot more. I've had an account for a while, but never really done much with it. I've started to follow a few more people, and I've decided I'm going to try and use it for taking photos of all my crochet. I'm still getting the hang of all the hashtags though, and the general 'netiquette'.

So let's see if I can last till the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...