Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Harvesting The Heart by Jodi Picoult

Started: 26th June
Finished: 30th June


I've always been a big fan of Jodi Picoult, I always say that you can't go wrong with one of her novels, you know it'll be a good read. But I wasn't sure about this one, actually...

*SPOILER ALERT*

I might reveal some spoilers, so be warned!



The central character, Paige, has left home at 18 after having an abortion. She dreams of going to art school, but after a whirlwind romance with an ambitious cardiac surgeon, they marry and she falls pregnant. Her own mother abandoned her when she was just five years old, and that lack of a maternal figure in her life, coupled with her previous abortion, lead Paige to doubt her own abilities as a mother. So what does she do? She leaves her three-month old son and drives off into the sunset (well, she hires a private investigator and then goes off in search of her mother).

And this is where I fell out with the book. I guess it's because I'm now a mother myself, but I just can't comprehend how someone can just leave their baby behind. I know it happens in real life, not just fiction, and people will have their reasons, I'm just saying that I couldn't do it. Paige's husband was so career-driven that he didn't support her in looking after Max, and I sympathised to an extent with the feeling of having to do it all on your own, but when she left home, I lost all sympathy for her.

So all in all, I didn't enjoy this book as much as some of Jodi Picoult's others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...