Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Hot Water

When we were on holiday in March, and again in August, the cottage could get a bit chilly on an evening. There was a log fire, but although it made the living room warm and cosy, the heat didn't really spread to the other rooms. We found a fan heater to help warm the bedroom up a little, and I also found a hot water bottle.

I haven't used a hot water bottle for years, but I must admit, I really looked forwards to sliding it between the sheets to keep my feet warm each night. It didn't have a cover, so I wrapped it in a towel so that it wasn't too hot to touch.

A couple of weeks after we got home, I was sitting on the sofa one evening, reading, and I felt really cold, even with one of my crochet blankets covering me. I decided that a hot water bottle would be perfect for such moments!

So the next day, Junior and I popped to the shops and I bought a basic hot water bottle from Boots. I didn't have a cover for it, so in a moment of inspiration, I thought I'd crochet one! (Yes, that's what this little tale has been leading up to...)

Since the hot water bottle is blue, I thought I'd use blue yarn, so that it wouldn't be as obvious if it showed through. I started thinking about a 'water' theme, and decided to do a ripple pattern, in shades of blue going from dark to light - think 'the sea'.

Then I thought it would be fun to embellish it with some fish, or something watery.

And this is the finished cover:


The colours from the bottom up are Royal, Aster, Turquoise and Cloud Blue - the button band at the top is Sherbet. I made an identical back and front, and joined them around three sides with Sherbet, leaving the top open. I sewed the buttons onto the inside of the top band, which is all trebles, and the buttons just push through the gaps between the stitches. You can't see it on the photo, but I also made a chain and attached one end to the cover at the back, and the other end to the 'plug', so that it won't get lost.

I didn't have a pattern for the fish or the seaweed (yes, that's what it is), I just made them up as I went along. I was going to put a different scene on the other side, but to be honest by the time I'd made these and sewn them on, I'd had enough, so the back is just the ripple pattern.

I'm really pleased with this - it's nothing fancy, just a bit of fun, but all done without a pattern. And most important of all, it's lovely to snuggle up to when I'm sitting downstairs reading.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, that's lovely, it reminds me of Finding Nemo. I use a water bottle all the time, I get quite a few stomach problems after suffering from bowel cancer years ago and my water bottle is my life saver, brilliant for aches and pains. I see you went to Temple Newsam. We were there on Sunday, the leaves are definitely starting to change colour now. Did you take Junior in the farm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really look forwards to sitting in the armchair on an evening, snuggled under a couple of crochet blankets and hugging my hot water bottle. I'm glad yours brings you some relief from your aches and pains.

      It was a lovely autumn day at Temple Newsam. We didn't go in the farm this time, but there were a few sheep and goats to look at as we walked along the cobbled path back to the car park, and we could hear the cockerel 'cock-a-doodle-doo'ing - Junior has been perfecting his cock-a-doodle-doo noise over recent months, so he joined in! And of course we saw plenty of ducks down at the lake, so lots of 'quack-quack'ing too!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...