Monday, 28 September 2015

ICYMI: New Yarn Resolutions

Yarndale is such a highlight on my calendar, it's almost as significant as New Year's Day. Possibly more so, as I don't usually celebrate or do anything special for New Year. So I've been thinking - if we can have a 'financial year' that runs from April to March, I think we should have a 'yarn year', that runs from September to August! New Year's Day will be Yarndale Saturday!


I don't always make New Year Resolutions, and if I do, I don't often stick to them, but I've been thinking about making some New Yarn Resolutions instead.

The main one at the moment is:

Make things for me, especially with all the gorgeous hand-dyed yarn that I've bought over the past year or so. Ideally I'd like to have used it all up before Yarndale 2016 (so that I can buy more, natch!)

So I've got to turn all of this into some beautiful items of clothing!

I don't mean to sound selfish, but other than things like hats and scarves, I've never really made myself anything, especially not clothing. Recently I've gone through all my back issues of Simply Crochet magazine and made a note of all the things I'd like to have a go at - mostly jumpers, sleeveless tops, cardigans, plus a few shawls. If I've already got suitable yarn, I want to start making, and if I haven't, then I'll allow myself a treat of buying some yarn specifically for the pattern. This 'Yarn Year' needs to be the year of making clothes!

Make another blanket to use up stash

If I fancy a change, or something a bit less complicated, I'll probably start another blanket. I wanted to make an Autumn inspired one, but when I went through my stash, and then looked at my Stylecraft Shade Card, it turned out that I needed to buy at least 10 more colours. Hmm, fancy that... So that might be on hold for now.

Make things for other people

My mum asked me (months ago) to make her a throw for her bed. She wanted it to cover it top to bottom, and to almost touch the floor, so even though it's only a single bed, the throw will probably be almost double-sized. I'm making sunburst granny squares, all in cream (her choice), and I'm slowly chipping away at it. I've made 30-odd, but I think we worked out it might need about 165! I really need to speed up on that.

She's also asked me to make her a shawl, but I think she understands that she might have a long wait for it.

I've got a couple of patterns that I'd like to make for Junior, but I want to buy the correct yarn for them, and I need to have a think about what size to make. If it takes me a long time to make them, I wouldn't want him to have grown out of it after only wearing it a handful of times.

Christmas

I've got a couple of things in mind for Christmas presents, so obviously that's a bit of a priority

Make things to sell

I started making blankets to sell, and I also designed and published my first shawl pattern, but I'm now really torn between wanting to do this (some of which I find a bit boring), and wanting to make things for myself, which is much more enjoyable and rewarding. For example, Chris has asked me to make some facecloths, which he's offered to try and sell for me. It would be great to make a bit of money from that (albeit not very much), but the trouble is, I find facecloths quite boring to crochet, and all the time I'm doing it, I'm thinking I could be doing something else instead. So do I just abandon the whole selling idea? Or maybe just fit things in between other projects...

Learn other crafts

This one mainly refers to the needle-felting kit that I bought at Yarndale 2014, which I still haven't done. I need to have a play with that! I also need to have another go at dyeing my own yarn, now that I've bought some proper dyes.



I think those are all my New Yarn Resolutions for now. What about you? Would you like to join me and think about your own yarny goals for this Yarn Year?




4 comments:

  1. How exciting, publishing your own pattern! I can't find your email either, so I'll give you mine here: chezbobs@chezbobs.karoo.co.uk and maybe you could email me yours. Looking forward to reading through your blog and getting to know you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl, it was exciting to publish my pattern, although it was a very basic one. I think I learned a lot in the process, and I'd love to have another go at designing something in crochet.

      I'm pleased that we've exchanged emails, I've already started having a read through your blog. Your dogs and cats are so cute! xx

      Delete
  2. I've still to embark on needlefelting too. I got a kit for Christmas which Mick bought for me at Yarndale and it hasn't yet been opened. I haven't done my post about my visit to Yarndale this year, that's yet to come. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it next year as Eleanor will be off to university so it will depend on when she goes, I missed the first one when Daniel left for uni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember rightly, I think you got the same kit as me, the brown hare one, is that right? I'm really keen to have a go, but it's just a case of finding enough time to really be able to sit and concentrate.

      Really looking forwards to your Yarndale blog post, I love reading about everyone else's experiences of the weekend, and of course seeing their purchases. I was really pleased with what I bought, but when I see other 'haul' photos I can't help thinking "why didn't I buy that too?" I think it's because there is so much lovely stuff, I just wish I could have 'one of everything', ha! xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...