Sunday, 6 September 2015

Review: Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The fourth Jackson Brodie novel, and judging by the ending, probably (hopefully) not the last.

Two years have passed since the events of book three, and Jackson is back doing private investigations, helping an adopted woman in New Zealand track down her birth parents. As usual, nothing ever runs smoothly, and along the way he encounters an ex-cop dealing with the consequences of an impulse purchase, a missing social worker, an actress whose memory is fading along with her career, and he himself becomes the subject of a private investigation - the hunter becomes the hunted. Oh, and he rescues a dog.

There are some harrowing scenes in this novel, which I almost had to skip as I was finding them too upsetting, but as with the previous three books, there is a lot of humour as well. I was born and bred in Leeds, so it was nice to read about places that I'm familiar with too. The chapters shifted between the present, and the 1970's, which I sometimes struggled to keep up with, but I think that was because I read it over a few nights, and I just kept forgetting what was what and who was who.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book - I think it's my favourite Jackson Brodie story so far.

And three cheers for The Ambassador!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...