Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Review: When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed Case Histories, the first book to introduce us to Jackson Brodie, ex-police inspector and now Private Investigator. The second book, One Good Turn, I found to be a lot weaker, and there was a character in there (his girlfriend) who I didn't like, and who pretty much spoiled the whole novel for me.

I was in two minds whether to read the third installment, but I do want to read the fourth one because it is set in Leeds, and I can't miss a book out of a series, so on with number three!

Luckily, this was a return to form, and I really enjoyed it. It begins with a horrific crime, which makes for difficult reading, not least because it has echoes of a similar 'real-life' event from the mid-90's. One of the people involved in this (fictional) crime features significantly throughout the book, along with several others, such as the very likeable Reggie, and of course, Jackson Brodie. He is now an ex-PI also, and married, and, unfortunately for him, on a train going in the wrong direction, which is where his problems start. Sometimes I find it just a little bit hard to believe that someone can find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time as often as Jackson does, but Kate Atkinson somehow manages to keep things just the right side of 'far-fetched', while he careers from one mishap to another.

A very enjoyable novel, with a plot that keeps you guessing, and some great characters. I'm looking forwards to reading number four in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...