Yes, I've had my wool winder and my swift out again this weekend. Chris took Junior to his grandma's, so I had a few toddler-free hours and decided it was about time I wound some of my skeins into cakes. I mean, I've only had some of them since Yarndale 2014...
I didn't take any action shots, but this is the end result:
My arms were aching after all that!
Clockwise(ish) from the top, there are eight cakes of cobweb lace from Natural Born Dyers, which I bought at Armley Mills Wool Festival in 2014.
|Natural Born Dyers|
The big cake next to them is my first, and so far only, attempt at hand dyeing. It was caking up lovely, but I should really have stopped halfway and made two. As it was, it got a bit big and I decided to finish winding it by hand, because I was worried it would slip off the winder and get into the cog mechanism, which happened to me last time. There is approx. 100g DK here. It looks quite nice caked up, the colours are a bit 'ice-creamy', if you know what I mean.
Underneath that are six cakes of a 4ply yarn called Licorice Kiss, which I bought from Easyknits at Yarndale 2014. It's black, pink and turquoise and scrummy.
To the right of that are four cakes of squidgy soft DK yarn from Little Boo Yarns - I wrote about buying them from one of the Yarnmama nights on Facebook here.
|Little Boo Yarns - this colour is called 'Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice'!|
Below the Easyknits yarn are nine cakes of the Yeavering Bell 4ply yarn that I bought from Whistlebare Yarns in Northumberland, when we were on holiday in March. So much fluff came off this while I was winding it, I had to keep sweeping the table in between each one! After I'd bought it, I thought it might be a bit too itchy to wear next to the skin, but now that I've handled it again, it is actually quite soft and snuggly.
Finally to the left of that are about 14 or 15 cakes of Eden Cottage Yarns Pendle 4ply, again bought at Yarndale 2014. This is earmarked for a cardigan that was featured in an issue of Simply Crochet.
|Eden Cottage Yarns|
The first skein that I wound was my own hand-dyed yarn, and after that I decided to keep all the others smaller, which is why there are so many. It pained me to cut the yarn and start again each time - I wish I could've wound the whole skein in one go - but even doing smaller ones I still got the yarn caught in the cog mechanism a couple of times, which is really annoying. I managed to free it without it being damaged though.
I was really pleased to get them all done, because I can actually use them now. However, so far I only have a serious plan for the Eden Cottage yarn - I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it. Suggestions welcome!