Sunday, 10 January 2016

Review: The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Although it's taken me a long time to read this book, that is no reflection on my enjoyment of it; rather, it just had to take a bit of a back seat to Christmas preparations.

The Little Stranger is quite a chunky book, and the story is something of a slow-burner. The significant events that occur are fairly spread out, although they become more frequent as the novel progresses, but that's not to say that the bits 'in-between' are boring, or just 'filler'. There is a good pace to the story, and a constant feeling of some kind of impending drama or menace which keeps you turning the pages.

The book centres around Hundreds Hall, a decaying (but still lived-in) grand Georgian house in the Warwickshire countryside. The events that take place in the house suggest that it may be haunted, but all the way through the book I was never really sure if that was the case, or if there was going to be some other explanation. Even when I'd finished it, I was still undecided about what had really happened, and about the motives of one character, in particular.

I read some other Goodreads reviews after I'd written mine, and I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who found the ending quite ambiguous.

I enjoyed The Little Stranger very much, despite the long gap I had between starting and finishing it.

View all my reviews


(P.S I did give it 4 out of 5 stars, but it was after the review had been posted to my blog, which is why it says 0 out of 5 here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...