Monday, 15 February 2016

Review: A Lifetime Burning

A Lifetime Burning A Lifetime Burning by Linda Gillard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Lifetime Burning is described as "a complex family drama" which is putting it mildly!

I'm a big fan of Linda Gillard, and I have every intention of reading all her novels (this was my 3rd), but I have to be honest - if this book had been written by anyone else, I'm not sure I would've persevered with it. Or maybe I would, I don't know. That's the thing, I don't really know how I feel about it.

I never really warmed to any of the characters, apart from maybe Hugh. That's not to say that they weren't interesting or well-written, because they were, but personally I didn't take to them.

I suppose I had the fairly predictable reaction to 'that' particular theme that runs through the book; I found it a bit uncomfortable, a bit hard to digest. I never really thought of it as wrong though, or perverse, which I put down to the fact that it was written about in an unapologetic, matter-of-fact way. Love is love...

The other thing I struggled with was the constant shifting back and forth over the years. I can usually get the hang of it eventually, but I seemed to be permanently confused throughout this book. Again though, that is 'my problem', rather than a problem with the novel.

So, I definitely didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I'm hoping that this is going to be my least favourite Linda Gillard book, so that I can look forwards to really enjoying the rest of them!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...