Thursday, 11 February 2016

TV Dramas

These were kind of an 'add-on' to my list of DVDs to watch in 2016.

I'd recorded 'And Then There Were None' and 'Harry Price Ghost Hunter' over the Christmas period, and I managed to watch them both a couple of weeks ago.

Harry Price Ghost Hunter was based on the real life skeptic of the same name, who investigated the supernatural and paranormal in the 1920's and 30's. In this TV adaptation, we first see Harry Price conning a family by pretending to exorcise a spirit from their house, and seemingly these aren't his first victims. A tragedy linked to one of his previous clients forces Harry to acknowledge that what he was doing was wrong, and instead he retreats into more serious psychical research. Later, he reluctantly agrees to try and help the wife of an up and coming politician, who has been behaving in a peculiar way since moving to a new house with her husband.

I enjoyed this, but I seem to think I got a bit confused with the storyline at times, and the twist at the end was unexpected (to me, because I can never see these things coming) but not necessarily an OMG moment.

A couple of days ago I was looking through my wishlist on Read It Swap It, and I had a book listed on there called The Ghost Hunters by Neil Spring. It turns out that this book is a fictionalised account of a real-life investigation carried out by Harry Price at Borley Rectory, so-called "the most haunted house in England". I'd added it to my wishlist months ago, and hadn't made the connection until the other day.

* * *

And Then There Were None is a mystery novel by Agatha Christie, considered by many to be a masterpiece. I haven't read the book, but the trailers for this tv adaptation intrigued me, so I recorded it and then watched all three episodes in one evening! I had no idea what the story was about other than the very basic premise that they were all going to die, one by one, so there really was a sense of mystery about who was going to be next, and how they were going to meet their end. And speaking of endings, I didn't see that one coming! In fact, despite the obvious clue in the title, I was sure at least one of them was going to survive, which I realise now was a bit naive of me!

This was a really enjoyable adaptation, although it hasn't tempted me to read the book (I've just read the synopsis on Wikipedia, and it seems that they changed quite a lot of details).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...