Monday, 21 March 2016

Review: The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I first read this book when I was young, probably around 10 years old, and I can't remember if I finished it or not. I suspect not, because I think a lot of the clever word play was a bit lost on me at the time.

I acquired this copy a few months back, and was actually really eager to read it again, to see if it made more sense to me now that I'm older and wiser. As you can see though, it took me a couple of months to read it. That is, I started it, got a bit bored, didn't pick it up for ages, then eventually decided I really needed to continue with it, picked it up again, actually started to enjoy it, and finally finished it.

There's no doubt that it's a well written book - the wordplay and the deeper messages about learning are very clever, and often brought to life by the illustrations of Jules Feiffer. Did I love it? Has it become an instant classic (to me)? No not really. However, I think I'm going to hang on to this copy (as it's a very nice 50th anniversary edition) and hopefully one day I'll read it with my son as I think there are a lot of good lessons in this story for children.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...