Saturday, 16 July 2016

Review: Never Binge Again: Reprogram Yourself to Think Like a Permanently Thin Person

Never Binge Again: Reprogram Yourself to Think Like a Permanently Thin Person Never Binge Again: Reprogram Yourself to Think Like a Permanently Thin Person by Glenn Livingston
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really thought I'd cracked it when I read this book. I thought I'd found 'the one', the one that was going to finally help me get some of my bad eating habits under control. But... no.

I've only read a few self-help books, on various topics, but I always find that they basically state the obvious, and tell you what you (kind of) already know. And yet, quite a lot of the time, that's what you need - you just need someone to say it, maybe in a slightly different way to how you've thought of it before.

This book pretty much states the obvious, and the author sort of admits that himself, at one point basically saying that you don't need to read the book. His basic premise for never bingeing again is "just never binge again".

He uses the idea that you have a Pig inside you. Not a cute little pink oinky pig, but a big ugly nasty grunting Pig-with-a-capital-P, and it's this Pig that has all the cravings, not you. So the next time the Pig says "ooh, lets eat a whole tube of Pringles" you are supposed to say "shut up Pig!" (or words to that effect) and lock it in it's cage and ignore it. And don't eat the Pringles.

I didn't like the idea of being horrible to a pig, or even a Pig, so my internal craving voice belongs to a Troll. "Yeah, shut up Troll!"

The thing is, this method did work for a while with me. I stopped snacking during the day, and I didn't have anything else to eat after our evening meal (I have a bad habit of having a bowl of cereal for 'supper' at around 9pm, even when I'm not hungry and I know I shouldn't eat that late). I managed to avoid all these bad habits by shutting down my Troll, and telling myself that I didn't need the snacks etc.

But, after a while, the ideas in the book just started to slip from my mind, and the snacking and eating when I didn't need to slowly crept back in. Occasionally I still think about my Troll, and I ignore it's pleas, but sometimes it gets it's own way.

So obviously it takes more than just reading a self-help book to change bad eating habits. Personally, I need someone to follow me around, and slap my hand away from my mouth every time I'm about to eat something unhealthy, I think that's the only thing that will work for me.

The book does make some good points though, and it did give me another way of thinking about my eating habits, and another method of dealing with them; just because it didn't work out for me the first time, there's no reason I can't try it again.

After all, you know what they say?

"Don't feed the Trolls!"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...